EFAO’s Soil Health Benchmark Study enables farmers to comprehensively assess the health of their soils while providing them with a common “language” to discuss their soil health management strategies.
In 2019, EFAO is piloting this program with a focus on the Lake Erie Basin. Applications for 2019 have closed.
Please contact Sarah, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
Participating farmers receive
- Sampling scheme
- Training for sampling: webinar, written protocol, support as needed for sampling
- Sampling bags, submission form and mailer
- Analysis of 9 samples (3 fields x 3 replicates) using active carbon and organic matter (value $250), with option to pay for additional samples
- Interpretation of results
- Detailed Benchmark Report that shows how your soil health and management practices compare to peer farms and farms across Ontario
- Connection to a learning community of farmers who are working to solve practical soil health challenges
Participating farmers contribute
- Method to geo-reference sampling location (GPS, app, etc)
- Straight shovel, such as a sharp-shooter or drain-spade style
- Ring (PVC or aluminum) for water infiltration measurements
- Time to sample and mail samples
- Detailed management records for the sites sampled