Started in 2016, the goal of the EFAO’s Farmer-led Research Program is to cultivate the curiosity of farmers to help them build resilient ecological farms.
EFAO’s Farmer-led Research program is open to all farmers interested in improving or adopting ecological practices on their farm.
What are you curious about? Have an idea for a trial? Need help designing an experiment? Want to know more about how to conduct research on your farm? Learn more about how to access the support and training for research on your farm.
Explore all things research- related, like protocols and research reports, in the Research Library.
In the News
- April 2018: Local Pepper Varieties Taking Shape in Ontario, The Canadian Organic Grower
- March 2018: How to reduce poverty and re-connect people to nature, The Conversation
July 13, 2017: County farm part of Grow Grant, County Weekly News
July 12, 2017: Ecological Farming: Young farmer coordinates research studies, Wellington Times
- July 11, 2017: Eight farmers receive funding for doing their own research, Ontario Farmer (correction: make that 13!)
- Summer 2017: Cultivating a Culture of Curiosity: Farmer-led Research in Ontario, Union Farmer Quarterly
June 26, 2017: EFAO Recognizes Grant from Ontario Trillium Foundation for Farmer-led Research, Media Release
March 20, 2017: Farmers share crop research on informal networks, Ontario Morning with Wei Chen, CBC Radio. Link to full podcast here or listen to clip of the EFAO below
- March 7, 2017: New farmer-led research program harvests new knowledge in Ontario, New Hamburg Independent
- August 25, 2016: Grant furthers ecological farming researcher, ObserverXtra
- May 12, 2016: EFAO Launches New Farm Trial Program, Better Farming
- Winter 2019 Bonus
- Winter 2019
- Fall 2018
- Summer 2018
- Spring 2018
- Winter 2018
- Fall 2017
- Summer 2017
- Spring 2017
- March 27, 2019: Webinar: Tips & Tricks for On-Farm Data Collection and Photography. View recorded version here.
- March 21, 2018: Webinar: What’s in a Number? Statistics for Farmers 101. View recorded version here.
- November 15, 2017: Webinar: Becoming a Farmer-Researcher. View recorded version here.
- March 15, 2017: Webinar: Introduction to farmer-led research: Turning questions into practical trials. View recorded version here.
- March 30, 2016: Webinar: On-Farm Research Design & Analysis. View a recorded version here. (Poor quality recording).
Other Past Events
- December 3, 2018: Farmer-led Research Symposium, London
- November 7-14: Webinar series, Telling your Story to Make a Difference, with John Capecci
- September 19, 2018: Farmer-led Research Field Day, Ontario Seed Variety Garden Showcase & Tasting, Hillsburgh
- September 13, 2018: Farmer-led Research Field Day, No-till Strategies for Spring Cereals, Winter Grains and Squash, St Thomas
- September 12, 2018: Farmer-led Research Field Day, Low-Till Vegetable Management Systems and Participatory Variety Trials, Creemore
- September 7, 2018: Farmer-led Research Field Day, Pasture Walk & Ultra High-intensity Grazing, Lucknow
- August 29, 2018: Farmer-led Research Field Day, Soil Health Management Tools & Participatory Variety Trials, St Agatha
- August 26, 2018: Farmer-led Research Field Day, Orchard Walk & Natural Mulch in Orchards, Hamilton
- August 14, 2018: Farmer-led Research Field Day, Ontario Variety Showcase & Participatory Plant Breeding with Dr Michael Mazourek, Wolfe Island
- August 8, 2018: Farmer-led Research Field Day, Building Orchard Soils with Biochar & Soil Health Management Tools, Erin
- January 26, 2018: Fertility Management for Organic Production System: How Farmer-led Research Fits, Guelph Organic Conference, Guelph
- January 8, 2018: On-farm Solutions for Soil Carbon Storage and How Farmer-led Research Fits, Grey Bruce Ecological Day, Grey County
- November 28-29, 2017: Farmer-led Research Workshop, Blue Mountains
- August 16, 2017: Farmer-led Research Field Day, On-Farm Plant Breeding: Developing New Varieties in your Market Garden, Whole Circle Farm, Acton
- July 16, 2017: Farmer-led Research Field Day, Ecological Cut Flower Production and Experiments, Sweet Gale Gardens, Millgrove
- June 26, 2017: Farmer-led Research Field Day, Green Mulch Experiments in Garlic, Fiddlehead Farm, Prince Edward County
- June 15, 2017: Farmer-led Research Field Day, Green Mulch Experiments in Garlic, Orchard Hill Farm, St. Thomas
- March 23, 2017: Ontario Soil Network Leadership Training Workshop, London
- November 29-30, 2016: Farmer-led Research Workshop, Ecological Farmers of Ontario’s Annual Conference, Kingston
- October 13-17, 2016: Food Secure Canada Assembly, Farmer-led Research in Ontario: A grassroots mechanism for positive change in agriculture, Toronto
- August 17, 2016: Farmer-led Research Field Tour and Ontario Trillium Foundation Recognition Event at Fertile Ground CSA, St. Agatha
- August 15, 2016: Agroecology Knowledge Exchange Workshop: Building a South-North Partnership, Waterloo
- June 22, 2016: No-till/Low-till Field Day, Orchard Hill Farm, St. Thomas
- February 15, 2016: Advisory Panel meeting, Guelph, ON. View meeting outcomes here.
- January 31, 2016: Farmer-led Research Program Information Session, Guelph Organic Conference, Guelph
Sarah Hargreaves, Director of Research, firstname.lastname@example.org
Heather Coffey, Eastern Ontario Research Coordinator, email@example.com
Rebecca Ivanoff, Research and Seed Program Research Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is made possible by funding from: