The Ecological Farmers Association of Ontario’s Farmer-led Research Program started in 2016. Modeled after Practical Farmers of Iowa’s highly successful Cooperators’ Program, the program is about tapping into the inherent creativity and innovative spirit of our farmers to support advances in ecological agriculture!
Have an idea for a trial? Need help designing an experiment? Want to know more about how to conduct research on your farm? Learn more about how to access the support and training for research on your farm.
Explore all things research- related, like protocols and research reports, in the Research Library.
- Interplanting brassicas and onions, Research Protocol 2017
- Interplanting in orchards, Research Protocol, 2017
- Pasture-raised chicken breed comparison, Research Report 2016
- Probiotics for pasture-raised chicken, Research Protocol 2017 – header photo
- Southern Ontario Participatory Pepper Breeding Project, Research Protocol 2017
- Garlic Mulch Trial, Research Protocol 2017 – header photo
- Foliar Sprays for Cut Flowers, Research Protocol 2017
- Cabbage Seed Production, Research Protocol 2017
- Systems Research for Agriculture, NSARE Report
In the News
- March 20, 2017: Farmers share crop research on informal networks, Ontario Morning with Wei Chen, CBC Radio. Link to full podcast here or listen to clip of the EFAO below
- March 7, 2017: New farmer-led research program harvests new knowledge in Ontario, New Hamburg Independent
- August 25, 2016: Grant furthers ecological farming researcher, ObserverXtra
- May 12, 2016: EFAO Launches New Farm Trial Program, Better Farming
- Farmer-led Research Field Day, June 15, 2017: Green Mulch Experiments in Garlic, Orchard Hill Farm, St. Thomas – WEST
- Farmer-led Research Field Day, June 26, 2017: Green Mulch Experiments in Garlic, Fiddlehead Farm, Prince Edward County – EAST
- Farmer-led Research Field Day, July 16, 2017: Ecological Cut Flower Production and Experiments, Sweet Gale Gardens, Millgrove – WEST
- Farmer-led Research Field Day, August 7, 2017: Intercropping onions and brassicas, Creek Shore Farm, St. Catharines – WEST
- Farmer-led Research Field Day, August 16, 2017: On-Farm Plant Breeding: Developing New Varieties in your Market Garden, Whole Circle Farm, Acton – CENTRAL
- Farmer-led Research Field Day, August 28, 2017: Probiotics and Pastured Chicken – Fat of the Land Farm, Yarker near Kingston – EAST
- March 15, 2017: Webinar: Introduction to farmer-led research: Turning questions into practical trials. View recorded version here.
- March 30, 2016: Webinar: On-Farm Research Design & Analysis. View a recorded version here. (Poor quality recording).
Other Past Events
- March 23, 2017: Ontario Soil Network Leadership Training Workshop, London, ON
- November 29-30, 2016: Farmer-led Research Workshop, Ecological Farmers of Ontario’s Annual Conference, Kingston, ON
- October 13-17, 2016: Food Secure Canada Assembly, Farmer-led Research in Ontario: A grassroots mechanism for positive change in agriculture, Toronto, ON
- August 17, 2016: Farmer-led Research Field Tour and Ontario Trillium Foundation Recognition Event at Fertile Ground CSA, St. Agatha, ON
- August 15, 2016: Agroecology Knowledge Exchange Workshop: Building a South-North Partnership, Waterloo, ON
- June 22, 2016: No-till/Low-till Field Day, Orchard Hill Farm, St. Thomas, ON
- February 15, 2016: Advisory Panel meeting, Guelph, ON. View meeting outcomes here.
- January 31, 2016: Farmer-led Research Program Information Session, Guelph Organic Conference, Guelph, ON
Sarah Hargreaves, Program Manager: email@example.com
Heather Coffey, Eastern Ontario Research Assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is made possible by funding from: