The Ecological Farmers Association of Ontario’s Farmer-led Research Program started in 2016. Modeled after Practical Farmers of Iowa’s highly successful Cooperators’ Program, the program is about tapping into the inherent creativity and innovative spirit of our farmers to support advances in ecological agriculture!
Have an idea for a trial? Need help designing an experiment? Want to know more about how to conduct research on your farm? Learn more about how to access the support and training for research on your farm.
Explore the Research Library: Explore all things research- related, like protocols and research reports, in the Research Library.
In the News!
- March 20, 2017: Farmers share crop research on informal networks, Ontario Morning with Wei Chen, CBC Radio. Link to full podcast here or listen to clip of the EFAO below
- March 7, 2017: New farmer-led research program harvests new knowledge in Ontario, New Hamburg Independent
- August 25, 2016: Grant furthers ecological farming researcher, ObserverXtra
- May 12, 2016: EFAO Launches New Farm Trial Program, Better Farming
- Webinar, May 2017: TBA
- Farmer-led Research Field Day, June 26, 2017: Green Mulch Experiments in Garlic, Fiddlehead Farm, Prince Edward County – EAST
- Farmer-led Research Field Day, July 16, 2017: Ecological Cut Flower Production and Experiments, Sweet Gale Gardens, Millgrove – WEST
- Look for more Farmer-led Research Field Days this season!
- March 15, 2017: Webinar: Introduction to farmer-led research: Turning questions into practical trials. View recorded version here.
- March 30, 2016: Webinar: On-Farm Research Design & Analysis. View a recorded version here. (Poor quality recording).
Other Past Events
- March 23, 2017: Ontario Soil Network Leadership Training Workshop, London, ON
- November 29-30, 2016: Farmer-led Research Workshop, Ecological Farmers of Ontario’s Annual Conference, Kingston, ON
- October 13-17, 2016: Food Secure Canada Assembly, Farmer-led Research in Ontario: A grassroots mechanism for positive change in agriculture, Toronto, ON
- August 17, 2016: Farmer-led Research Field Tour and Ontario Trillium Foundation Recognition Event at Fertile Ground CSA, St. Agatha, ON
- August 15, 2016: Agroecology Knowledge Exchange Workshop: Building a South-North Partnership, Waterloo, ON
- June 22, 2016: No-till/Low-till Field Day, Orchard Hill Farm, St. Thomas, ON
- February 15, 2016: Advisory Panel meeting, Guelph, ON. View meeting outcomes here.
- January 31, 2016: Farmer-led Research Program Information Session, Guelph Organic Conference, Guelph, ON
Sarah Hargreaves, Program Manager: email@example.com
Heather Coffey, Eastern Ontario Research Assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is made possible by funding from: