As of December 2020, EFAO has been working hard to begin addressing racial equity in the organization and its programs and activities. We recognize and apologize that we have been late to this work. However, we are committed to ensuring that the organization works toward the goal of real representation and better meeting the needs of farmers and members who are currently underrepresented in the organization and the ecological farming movement at large.
In the first half of 2021, important foundational steps were taken to listen, to strengthen our relationship with BIPOC farmers and members, and to establish an action plan with measurable goals. This will be an on-going and evolving process.
Now, we are ready and excited to take another important step by forming the first BIPOC Equity & Accountability Committee. This committee will advise, assess and evaluate EFAO’s efforts towards its equity and anti-racism goals. The EFAO will be accountable to the BIPOC Equity and Accountability Committee.
Full Committee details can be found here. However, here are the key nuts and bolts:
- This Committee is a BIPOC-only space, chaired by EFAO’s Anti-Racism & Equity Consultant, Angel Beyde
- Quarterly virtual meetings, 1 to 1.5 hrs (maximum) in duration
- Compensation is $75 per Committee member per meeting
- Term: 1 to 3 years
- Committee members will receive a complimentary ticket to EFAO’s Annual Conference.
- The Committee will advise and evaluate a broad and diverse scope of EFAO’s development and activities at all levels of the organization
Member Criteria & Selection Process
We are seeking:
- BIPOC farmers or aspiring farmers (80% of the Committee)*
- BIPOC non-farmer community members with other relevant experience such as not-for-profits, organizational development, community engagement, communications (20% of the Committee)*
- Non-EFAO members are eligible
The Committee will appoint new members as vacancies arise. Individuals will indicate interest using an online form.
*We are aiming to represent a diversity of BIPOC perspectives and will strive to ensure a balance of different age, class, gender, sexual orientation and abilities-related lived experiences within this committee.
Please complete this application form by August 15th, 2021. Applicants will be contacted by Sept. 8th, 2021.
Before applying, please review the BIPOC Equity & Accountability Committee Terms of Reference.