EFAO is hiring a Communications & Government Relations Manager
The Ecological Farmers Association of Ontario (EFAO) is seeking a strong communicator with a keen attention to detail, to join the staff team as Communications & Government Relations Manager. For over 40 years, EFAO has helped farmers build resilient ecological farms and grow a strong knowledge sharing community through farmer-led education, research and community building. Momentum and support is growing for ecological and regenerative agriculture, and this new position with EFAO is critical for communicating the stories and work of ecological farmers, as we strive to bring about systemic change.
Reporting to EFAO’s Executive Director, the Communications & Government Relations Manager is responsible for managing communications and outreach activities for the organization and for acting as the EFAO staff liaison for Farmers for Climate Solutions, a national alliance of farmer organizations and supporters who believe that agriculture must be part of the solution to climate change.
Position: Communications & Government Relations Manager
Location: Guelph, Ontario or option to work remotely from home office
Employment type: 30 hours/week
Start date: November 9, 2020 (flexible)
Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Salary: $40,000 – $48,000/year, depending on qualifications and experience
- Leading the development, management, and implementation of a multi-dimensional communications strategy targeting EFAO members, donors, policymakers, the public and other stakeholders, that incorporates traditional and social media, and supports EFAO programs and initiatives.
- Managing government relations and policy advocacy work with provincial and federal government departments.
- Acting as the primary staff liaison with Farmers for Climate Solutions and other allied organizations.
- Developing and managing content for EFAO’s website, blog, E-newsletter and social media.
- Coordinating content, providing editorial management, and working with external consultants to publish EFAO’s quarterly publication Ecological Farming in Ontario.
- Designing, developing, and incorporating new communication materials to support EFAO’s communications strategy.
- Serving as the central media contact for EFAO, including drafting and disseminating media releases, responding to inquiries and requests, and providing referrals as required.
- Planning and implementing marketing and promotion of EFAO events and resources, including the annual conference.
- Coordinating project management software to foster collaboration among staff and other stakeholders.
- Undergraduate degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or a related program, and a minimum of 2-3 years of experience in a relevant field, with experience in agriculture and food sectors, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in policy and advocacy work.
- Experience in plain language writing.
- Experience in editing, visual design, and production management.
- Extensive experience coordinating web platforms and social media accounts.
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Wordpress.
- Knowledge of digital marketing tactics, such as SEO and email marketing.
- Experience working in a not for profit environment is an asset.
- Experience with database management is an asset.
- A family-friendly work culture.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Contributions to a Health Savings Account.
- Generous paid time off.
Please apply by sending a cover letter and resume or CV (in one PDF document) to Ali English at email@example.com by October 4, 2020.
EFAO is working to foster a culture of inclusion within the organization. EFAO strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment.