Build a foundation to start a successful farm enterprise!
This program will not only provide you with critical information to start your farm, but you will meet other new and experienced farmers and become a part of the ecological agricultural community in Ontario. Educational content is geared toward new farmers, but is open to all farmers who might be curious about a certain topic, wishing to expand their farming knowledge, or in need of a refresh.
Participants begin with foundational knowledge, then learn about specialized aspects of farming, and end with a focus on establishing farm businesses. Join for a single webinar or sign up for a whole term.
Sample Program (dates & times subject to change):
Term 1: April 20, 22, 25, and 27, (9:30-11:00am & 2:30-4:00pm)
- 7 Webinars
- Provides foundational knowledge and language for basic farm work.
- Sample workshops: The Language of Ecological Agriculture in Ontario, Intro to Organic Growing, Soils, Botany, Pest and disease management, Intro to Indoor Growing, Farm workers rights and responsibilities.
Term 2: Monday & Wednesday afternoons, May-July (2:30-4:00pm)
- 16 Webinars/virtual field days, 3 optional in-person field trips
- Teaches the application of farm language and knowledge.
- Sample workshops: Irrigation, Field & Bed preparation, Weed management, Harvest & postharvest handling, Cover crops & green manures, Indoor fruiting crops, Ergonomics/farmer health, Equipment maintenance.
***There will be a 5 week break between terms 2 and 3 allowing for participants to catch up with viewing recordings.
Term 3: Monday & Wednesday afternoons, September-October (2:30-4:00pm)
- 10 Webinars/Virtual field days, 2 optional in-person field trips
- Expands beyond basics to build skills for a specialized farm.
- Sample workshops/ virtual field days: Apiculture, Permaculture, Livestock (various), a deeper dive into some terms 1 and 2 topics.
Term 4: November 2, 4, 7, 9, 14, and 16 (9:30-11am & 2:30-4:00pm)
- 12 Webinars
- Provides entrepreneurship training for operating a farm business.
- Sample workshops: Farm Design, Business planning, Production system management, Budgets & Record keeping, Marketing and distribution, Financing, and Land access.
*Online meet-ups (7-8pm) will be scheduled each term for those participating in a full term in order to facilitate networking and participant learning objectives.
**Full program (all 4 Terms) participants receive a Certificate for completing the Ignatius New Farmer Training Program.