Memorandum of Understanding 2019
EFAO’s farmer-led research program is open for applications from any farmer interested in testing the effects of adopting more ecological practices on their farm, be it in the realm of horticulture, field crops, livestock, or perennials. Farmer-researchers: Please read through the following Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for 2019 and accept the MOU at this link.
Compensation for farmer-researchers
Research & Breeding Trials
- Current EFAO member receive a farmer-fee of $500 per farm per experiment per year
- Others receive a farmer-fee of $425 + EFAO membership per farm per experiment per year
- Current EFAO member receive a farmer-fee of $250 per farm per experiment per year.
- Others receive a farmer-fee of $175 + EFAO membership per farm per experiment per year.
Compensation for all farmer-researchers
- You can invoice EFAO for your full farmer-fee upon remittance of the experimental data and photos, no later than the date outlined in your specific Research Protocol
- Email your invoice for the farmer-fee (including HST, if applicable) to Sarah (firstname.lastname@example.org)
In addition to the compensation above, the EFAO will
- Reimburse for approved research expenses as outlined in your specific Research Protocol
- Reimburse for one hotel night per farmer-research to attend the Farmer-led Research Workshop, December 2, 2019 in Belleville
- For multi-year projects, provide funding for future years if goals are met in current year
- Help set up Research Protocol, write and post Protocol in the Research Library
- Provide a template for data collection sheets
- Monitor progress of project, including check-ins and help with troubleshooting
- Deliver or mail a Farmer-Researcher farm gate sign
- Conduct training program related to on-farm research
- Help analyze data, write and print a Research Poster and post a Research Report in the Research Library
- Conduct one-on-one consultation about the data and results as soon as possible after data are received
- Host the Farmer-led Research Workshop & Symposium
- Establish and conduct experiment as outlined in Research Protocol above
- Record data outlined in Protocol and/or data collection sheet
- Take high quality photos throughout the project
- Keep in contact with EFAO with updates, problems, and questions
- Turn in data in a digital format and 3-10 best photos by date specified in your specific Research Protocol
- Complete feedback surveys related to the program
- Provide research mentoring, including reviewing related protocols and phone consultation with fellow farmer-researchers on related projects.
If possible, the farmer-researchers will
- Host an EFAO-organized field day related to the farmer-led research project
- Attend and present at the Farmer-led Research Symposium on December 2, 2019 in Belleville, Ontario