Position: Special Events Coordinator
Hours: 30 hours/week
Start date: August 19, 2019 (flexible)
Duration: up to 42 weeks
Compensation: $423/week in employment benefits, with possibility for some top-up pending funding
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Application deadline: Please apply on or before July 26, 2019
The Ecological Farmers Association of Ontario (EFAO) supports farmers to build resilient ecological farms and grow a strong knowledge-sharing community. Established in 1979 by farmers – for farmers, EFAO is a membership organization that focuses on farmer-to-farmer education and research. EFAO brings farmers together so that they can learn from each other and improve the health of their soils, crops, livestock and the environment, while running profitable farm businesses. Our main activities include workshops, farm tours, kitchen table meetings, an advisory service, farmer-led research, an annual conference and a bi-monthly newsletter.
ABOUT THE POSITION
EFAO is looking for a motivated and organized individual to support the development of new special events and communications in celebration of the association’s 40th Anniversary, and the redesign of our print newsletter. The position will also provide opportunities to connect with Ontario’s ecological agriculture community and take part in a dynamic grass-roots organization dedicated to supporting farmers.
This position is funded through the Ontario Jobs Creation Partnership (OJCP) program. Please see eligibility requirements below.
Working with EFAO’s Education Director, tasks of the Special Events Coordinator may include the following:
- Organize and promote special events for EFAO’s 40th Anniversary
- Coordinate and promote 40th Anniversary celebrations at the annual EFAO conference
Newsletter Redesign and Development
- Conduct background research
- Support content development (i.e. identifying contributors, writing member profiles, conducting interviews)
- Outreach to new advertisers
Outreach and Communication:
- Documentation of events through blog posts, photographs and live streaming on social media.
- Support production and viewing of film documenting EFAO’s history
- Develop new communication materials (i.e posters, postcards, social media graphics, press releases)
- Develop social media strategy for engaging members and others in EFAO’s 40th Anniversary.
- Experience with event design, development and implementation
- Excellent communication skills and experience in marketing and promotions
- Experience with different social media platforms
- Creative problem-solving skills with a keen attention to detail
- Self-motivated with an exceptional ability to prioritize, manage many tasks at once, and meet deadlines
- Works both independently and as part of a small, dynamic team to meet organizational goals
- Experience working or volunteering with non-profit organizations
- Passionate and knowledgeable about food and agriculture; familiarity with the ecological agricultural community in Ontario an asset
- Both experience or interest in graphic design and event budget management considered an asset
- Some off-site and weekend work required
This position is funded through the Ontario Jobs Creation Partnership (OJCP) program. Participants will be paid the maximum employment benefits for up to 42 weeks. Please see this Q and A for more information.
- Must be currently in receipt of EI benefits
- OR able to establish an EI benefits claim prior to beginning the position,
- OR have completed an EI claim within the past 36 months,
- OR began a maternity or parental claim within the past 60 months;
- Be unemployed, or working part-time (less than 20 hours per week);
- In need of the work experience that will be gained through this position, where this experience will improve their prospects for securing full-time work in their field of interest & expertise
To apply please email the following in a single PDF document to email@example.com:
- A cover letter describing why you would be a good fit for this position
- A resume outlining relevant experience
If you have questions about the position or your eligibility, please contact Katie Baikie at firstname.lastname@example.org.