EFAO Training and Resource Assistant (Summer Student)
Position: 30 hours/week, offered through the Canada Summer Jobs Program (eligibility criteria listed below). *Pending receipt of funding.
Duration: 14 weeks, April 30th – August 3rd, 2018
Location: Guelph, Ontario
The EFAO is looking for a motivated and organized individual to help deliver training, mentorship and peer-to-peer networking for ecological farmers. This includes training on business management, marketing and new product development, as well as environmentally sound agricultural practices (i.e. cover cropping, crop rotation, planting green manures, composting, soil conservation, timely and appropriate tillage, good livestock management, promoting biodiversity, and avoiding the use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides). Training for farmers will include workshops (in person and by webinar), farm tours and networking meetings. Some webinars will be offered in French.
This position will also provide opportunities to connect with Ontario’s ecological agriculture community and take part in a dynamic grass-roots organization dedicated to supporting farmers!
About the EFAO:
The Ecological Farmers of Ontario (EFAO) is a farmer-led charitable organization that has been supporting ecological farmers in Ontario since 1979. We strive to provide practical farmer-to-farmer training in ecological farming and to build community and support for our member farmers. Our main activities include workshops, farm tours, kitchen table meetings, an advisory service, farmer-led research, an annual conference and a bi-monthly newsletter. To learn more about EFAO please visit efao.ca.
This position is being offered through the Canada Summer Jobs program. To be eligible for the program, students must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- Assist with promoting training activities through e-newsletter, social media, posters, outreach at events, etc. Attend training events when possible/interested and compile workshop feedback to inform future training activities.
- Assist with gathering content for EFAO’s “Ecological Farming in Ontario” printed newsletter, including outreach to new potential newsletter contributors. Assist with archiving past issues (including scanning older issues) on the EFAO website as an online resource for ecological farmers.
- Assist with planning for the annual “Ecological Farmers of Ontario Conference” including conference promotions, logistics, speaker organization, etc.
- Assist with developing content for social media and blog posts.
- Assist with the execution and development of member research packages.
- Assist with member outreach.
Skills & Assets Required:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with social media platforms and online file-sharing platforms (i.e. Google Drive)
- Basic graphic design skills an asset
- Timely and attentive to details
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Self motivated, creative problem solver with the ability to prioritize and see tasks through
- Familiarity with the broader ecological farm community in Ontario
- Experience working or volunteering with non-profit organizations an asset
- Access to a car and valid driver’s license an asset
- Ability to occasionally work on weekends
To apply please email the following in a single PDF document to email@example.com:
- A cover letter describing why you would be a good fit for this position
- A resume outlining relevant experience
- 3 references
***Deadline Extended***: Please apply on or before April 18th, 2018
Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.